Sleeping is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. However, oversleeping might not be a good sign. There is a condition called hypersomnia, which can make a person very sleepy during day time. Also, it can make you oversleep for a very long time. People with this health illness may experience a hard time finishing everyday activities. Mostly, they come late to work or school because of oversleeping.
Moreover, a person with this health illness can fall asleep anytime at work, in school, or while driving. That makes it a very dangerous situation. If you think that it is not normal, it is good to talk to your doctor.
One can have peace of mind as there are available hypersomnia treatments for people with this illness. The following is important information that you need to know. Hence, it will help you get back to your normal life.
1. Proper Diagnosis for Treatment
One may need to see a doctor to find out the cause of being sleepy all the time. Actually, it is just one of the many illnesses related to sleeping. Doctors may ask you different questions to know more about your signs. Some of the possible questions are:
- When did you first feel any sign?
- What is your worse experience?
- What are the things you do to make it better?
- Do you have other health conditions?
- Are you getting other treatments?
- What is your sleeping ac habit?
- What is your sleeping condition and environment?
Furthermore, a doctor needs to know if you are taking any medicine. It might be the reason for being sleepy in the daytime. There is a possibility that you may undergo a sleep study. It is to find out what causes this illness. Therefore, you may need to stay inside a sleep lab overnight. Also, during this test, you will use different equipment like a brain wave monitor. As a result, the doctor will determine if the hypersomnia is caused by a condition known as sleep apnea.
One of the most common cure is taking a stimulant. These drugs can make you stay awake and alert to do daily activities. However, this is not a long term hypersomnia treatment.
3. Sleep Hygiene
When it comes to a long term solution, a doctor may suggest a better sleeping area and habits. Hence, it will promote a good night’s sleep.
The following are positive changes that you can apply to increase the quality of sleep at night.
- It is good to stop taking drinks and foods high in caffeine.
- Also, it is better to stop drinking too much alcohol. However, there are times when drinking a little can make a person feel sleepy. Over drinking can badly affect your sleep quality.
- Furthermore, it is good not to eat foods high in acid. For instance, high-fat milk, cream, spicy foods, fried foods, and sodas are foods to avoid, especially at night.
- One can stay away from sudden sleepiness during the daytime by having enough sleep at night. Hence, proper lighting can help set the mood for sleeping at night. It is better to make your room darker during the nighttime to have a good night’s sleep.
- Another way is by doing relaxing activities before bedtime. For example, drinking milk, taking a shower, and reading are some.
- The temperature also affects the quality of sleep. Making the bedroom cool when during summer or making it hotter during winter is a huge help.
- Additionally, it is better to stay away from artificial light from mobile phones.
4. Lifestyle Changes
It means that a person might need to stop any bad habit like drinking alcohol and smoking. A diet change may also help. Likewise, eating a well-balanced diet can help you sleep better at night. Therefore, you do not have to feel sleepy during the daytime.
5. Long Term Treatment
The truth is that sudden sleepiness may be a lifelong health condition. Mostly, sleep problem is not serious and deadly. However, through lifestyle changes, one can overcome it.
The only key to prevent sleep problems is to stay away from what triggers them.
A stressful situation in life can cause a person not to have a good night’s sleep. Overthinking and stress are bad for health. Therefore, one can go through some counseling to recover from a stressful situation.