This condition is a problem of the nervous system. Hence, it makes you feel very uncomfortable, especially during night time. Also, it causes a feeling of needing to move your legs. According to doctors is a form of sleep disorder because it happens during night time. Usually, you may feel it while you are resting, like sitting or lying down. Restless leg syndrome may become worse over time and will cause you sleepless nights. Therefore it is vital to look for medical help.
Moreover, it is very common in women than in men. The signs of it may be mild to severe. Hence, a doctor may not know it at first if you are feeling mild signs. However, some treatments can cure or stop it. Therefore, going to the doctor is important for proper diagnosis and cure.
The major sign of this illness is the strong urge to move the legs. The other signs that you should look out for are:
- One may start to feel a different sensation in their legs after resting. Hence, it may start after sitting or lying down for a long time. It can happen while you are inside the car, watching television, or before bedtime.
- The uncomfortable feeling will go away after moving the legs. One can feel the sensation will decrease after moving, like walking, stretching, and jiggling the legs.
- Furthermore, the worst is when the restless leg syndrome attack during the night time. Signs of this illness usually happen in the evening when it is time to sleep. That is why many are having trouble sleeping.
- Leg twitching during the night may also come from other illnesses like periodic limb movement. It is when you suddenly kick your leg while you are asleep.
It is an abnormal feeling on both sides of the legs and feet. However, it is not common in the arms.
Moreover, it is better to look out for signs like a feeling of:
- Crawling in the legs
- Feeling of pulling
- Throbbing feeling
- Itching of the leg
- Electric feeling
Most of the time, the feeling is very hard to explain. However, most restless legs at night describe it as a strong feeling of moving the legs. Also, it may become severe over time without proper treatment. Sometimes, it may disappear and come back again with worse signs.
3. Possible Causes
Indeed, most causes are still a mystery. However, some link it to family history and poor health or lifestyle.
- According to studies, 40% of cases are related to family history. If there are family members with this illness, there is a higher chance of getting it. Also, signs may appear before the age of 40 years old.
- Another is the lack of nutrients in the brain like iron. However, tests mat show that you have a normal level of it in the blood.
- Also, people with long term health illness may develop restless legs at night. For instance, people with diabetes, kidney problem, and Parkinson’s disease can suffer from it.
- If you are taking some medicines, it may be the cause of it. So, a doctor may ask you if you are taking some medicines.
- Pregnancy may be one of the restless legs causes. Hence, it may happen in the last trimester of pregnancy. Likewise, it will go away after giving birth.
- A bad lifestyle and not getting enough sleep may cause this health problem. That is why people with this condition may need to go back to being healthy. Doctors will advise you to stay away from drinking alcohol, smoking, and taking caffeine.
4. Risk Factors
Furthermore, it can happen to anyone at any age. Therefore, even during can suffer from it. Other related restless legs causes are:
- Damage to the nerves at the legs and feet is one reason. Also, it may come from illnesses like diabetes.
- Lack of iron can happen to people with kidney problems. Therefore, one can have it if their kidneys are not in good shape.
- Moreover, people with spine problems may suffer from this health problem.
5. Possible Complications
People with this condition may find it very difficult to fall asleep. Hence, it may decrease the quality of life and the inability to perform well at work and school. As a result, one will feel very sleepy during the daytime.