A person with liver failure needs immediate medical care. Hence, it is life-threatening, and signs are most of the time gradual. Therefore, one will not know if they have the condition unless it is already at the final stage. However, there is also one type, which is acute, that can happen very fast. It may appear in a matter of 48 hours. This condition can happen if a large part of the lover is not working and impossible to repair. It is good to know that there is still hope using long term liver failure treatments.
1. Two Types
Moreover, there are two types that one can experience when it comes to this condition. The treatment depends on which type you have.
- Acute- When it happens, the liver will stop working in a few days or weeks. Mostly, people who suffer from this condition do not have prior liver problems.
- Chronic- It is a condition wherein the damage and signs may appear over time. It can cause liver failure in alcohol, especially for people with alcohol addiction. Also, the liver will stop working at the final stage.
2. Liver Tests
There are several tests and procedures that one needs to undergo. It is to help the doctor to know what type and stage of the condition.
- Blood test- This test will let your doctor know the overall health of your liver. Also, your doctor may request for prothrombin test. It is a kind of test that measures the hours of blood clotting. Hence, people with liver failure have slow blood clotting.
- Imaging- It will take photos of the inside to see what is going on with your liver. A doctor will have a clear understanding of the condition of your liver. For instance, MRI, ultrasound, and CT scan are some of these tests.
- Biopsy- This test needs a small part of the liver. Therefore, the doctor will take out a tiny part using a needle. After that, the sample is sent to a laboratory.
The truth is that having this lover problem is very dangerous. Also, some are unable to treat. The best liver failure treatments are long term medical care. The chances of getting better are according to the stage and condition of the organ.
There is a drug that can reverse the acute type caused by a drug overdose. However, it is important to take it immediately. Also, some liver problems are caused by eating poisonous substances like a mushroom. Some drugs can reverse its effect.
5. Support Care
If the condition is from long-term damage, especially due to liver failure in alcohol consumption, a liver transplant may be the last option. However, the doctor will try to save the part of the liver that is still working properly. In case it is damaged, then you may need an organ transplant. Luckily, there is s higher success rate for this procedure.
There are food-friendly diets for the liver. Therefore, one should eat healthy foods like fruits and vegetables. Also, eating lean meat from chicken and fish is good than red meat. As much as possible, avoid shellfish in your diet. Above all, it is important to decrease the amount of salt in the diet.
It is better to get shots to avoid having other illnesses. Having a liver problem will make your immune system weak. Therefore it will increase your chances of catching diseases like flu and others.
9. Do not Take Medicine without Prescription
One of the main causes of liver illness is drugs. Also, it will be difficult for the liver to remove drugs inside the body if you already have it. Therefore, ask your doctor first before you take any drug.
10. Alcohol Abuse Treatment
The work of the liver is mainly to remove toxins in the body. Likewise, alcohol is a kind of toxin. Over drinking will cause the liver to work harder. In order to protect the liver, then you should stop drinking. Doctors can help you overcome your addiction. Additionally, they will recommend ways on how you can do it successfully.