Some people are following are a low purine diet because of a specific health issue. Hence, if you have a kidney problem, gout, and stones, you should follow this plan. The diet suggests avoiding some foods and drinks. Therefore, one can choose from other food choices that are much healthier. Also, it is for people with a specific illness to improve their symptoms and overall health.
Read on to know how a low purine diet can benefit you in many ways.
Moreover, purine is organic and not harmful. However, loads of it inside the body can cause bad side effects. Also, the body naturally has some of it inside. What makes it dangerous is that it can turn into uric acid. It can dissolve in the blood and the kidney and flush out of the body. However, it can become harmful when it reaches the maximum amount. A high amount of it is harder to process for the body. As a result, it will become a crystal and may cause a lot of health issues. For instance, kidney stones, gout, and other health problems are some. Getting into a purine diet can lessen the amount f uric acid that can form as crystals.
2. Two Ways
Actually, there are two ways for an effective purine diet. First is eliminating foods that are high in purine. Secondly, it is best to eat the right foods to get rid of excess uric acid in the body.
3. Benefits of the Diet
Crystals are very harmful in the kidney and the joints. Eating foods that are lower in purine can decrease the serious effect. Also, it can stop painful signs of illness associated with it. Also, it can benefit people with a health illness known as hyperuricemia. Therefore, if you are already ready sick, it is better to shift to healthier food choices.
4. What to Avoid?
There are specific types of foods that naturally have a high amount of it.
- Fed meat
- Some seafood like sardines, herring, tuna, mussels, scallops, trout, anchovies, and haddock
- Meat from duck, veal, and venison
- Meat from animal organs
Furthermore, some foods can make the substance stays longer inside the body. It is better to stay away from taking the following foods and drinks:
- Fatty foods: fat can hold uric acid, especially in the kidney. It is important to avoid eating oily foods, dairy products, and other products with a high amount of oil.
- Alcohol: Some studies show that all kinds of alcohol can increase the level of purine. Also, it can cause a lack of water in the body. As a result, it will not be easier for the body to flush it out.
- Sweet foods: a low uric acid diet must stay away from sweet foods. Sweetened beverages are very high in fructose that is not good for health. Eating a lot of sweet foods can make your gout worse.
5. What to Eat?
It is good to know that one can still enjoy a lot of foods and drinks. The following are good food choices for you:
- Water: It is important to keep the body well hydrated. Hence, it can help to remove excess uric acid from the blood. Therefore, it will not form any crystal.
- Low-fat foods: the better options are low fat or fat-free foods like cheese, yogurt, and some milk.
- Grains: you may also eat foods like potatoes, pasta, rice, bread. However, it is better to choose whole grains.
- Fruits and vegetables: all types of vegetables are nutritious, but choose fresh fruits and juices low in sugar.
- Vitamin C: By eating fruits and vegetables, you will surely get this vitamin’s right amount.
- Lean meat: the better choice is lean protein, and stay away from red meat.
- Eggs: It is good to eat eggs in smaller quantities.
6. Additional Tips
If you are on a low uric acid diet, you still need to visit your doctor regularly. It is a diet that can manage your signs and does not offer 100% cure. Hence, it is better to consult a doctor for other possible treatments.
On the other hand, some medicines can help to lower down uric acid in the body. It is a good long term treatment. However, a doctor should give you medicine. It is not good to self medicate.