In the market, there are diverse foods that contain wheat. Examples of such foods are bread, cereals, and pastries. Hence, Canada is the largest producing country of it, around 25 million of it every year. Also, these foods provide energy for our bodies. But to some, eating foods with wheat is not a good idea. Their bodies think that wheat brings harm to it. This event is a wheat allergy.
Facts you must know about wheat allergy are:
People with this condition give off antibodies against the proteins in wheat. Therefore, this event results in reactions or symptoms.
Wheat allergy symptoms are:
- Swollen or itchy mouth or throat
- Watery or itchy eyes
- Trouble breathing
Most allergies also have these symptoms. To lessen the reaction, doctors might suggest an antihistamine. Make sure to undergo tests.
Moreover, doctors can identify if you are allergic to wheat or other foods with these tests or tools.
- Skin test. Doctors will place a small amount of liquid with wheat on your skin. Therefore, they prick in the liquid on your skin. After 15 minutes, they will check if the skin turned red or had an itchy bump.
- Blood test. Hence, this option includes taking a blood sample. Also, they will look into the blood if it has antibodies against the wheat protein.
- Food diary. Doctors might ask you to take note of what you eat and the symptoms you had.
- One can remove certain foods from the diet. Likewise, it suggests taking away certain foods from your diet. Additionally, if the doctor thinks that you are allergic to wheat, he or she might ask you to avoid eating it.
3. Serious Signs
In some cases, the bodies’ reactions to wheat are severe. Symptoms for extreme cases include:
- Tight or swollen throat
- Pain in the chest
- Finding it too hard to breath
- Weak pulse
- Trouble swallowing
- Bluish skin
- A drop in blood pressure
If these signs occur, call 911 or go to a doctor. However, such symptoms are life-threatening and need immediate medical help.
4. Common in Kids and Adults
Moreover, this allergy can occur in kids and adults. It is common in babies and kids. Therefore, adults can also develop it. Also, some children outgrow wheat allergy at reaching 16 years old.
People with this allergy can show symptoms after inhaling wheat flour. Aside from eating, inhaling wheat might be the cause. Hence, some people who work in places with wheat flour (e.g., bakeries) may also develop baker’s asthma.
6. Other Triggers
If you experience an allergy to wheat, your body can also show allergic reactions to other foods. For instance, barley, oats, and rye are some. Likewise, if your parents have food allergies, you have a high risk of having wheat or other food allergies.
7. Intolerance and Allergy
Wheat intolerance and allergy to wheat is different. Symptoms of wheat intolerance can bring unease, but it is not severe. However, a wheat allergy may show signs after exercise. Also, this event happens when you exercise within a few hours of eating wheat.
8. This allergy is different from celiac disease.
Some people think that these two are the same. But their situation is different from each other. Therefore, this allergy happens when the body tries to fight against wheat proteins. Meanwhile, in celiac disease, gluten causes abnormal immune system reactions.
The best way to stay away from wheat allergy symptoms is not to eat wheat. Foods that contain wheat are:
- For instance, baked goods like cookies, cakes, donuts, biscuits, and bread are some. Such foods may contain wheat flour.
- Sauces and gravies
- Sausages and hotdogs
- Fried foods with breading
- Beer, ale, and root beer
- Malted milk or chocolate drink
- Pasta and noodles
Let people around you know if your body does not take wheat well. Also, if your kid has this allergy, inform his or her teachers, classmates, and principal. Above all, those with this condition can also wear a medical alert bracelet. Likewise, this bracelet will give info to those healthcare providers who will see it.
Furthermore, search for wheat-free recipes. Some foods can provide the nutrients wheat has. In buying bread, you can opt for corn cakes, rice cakes, and crackers.
Moreover, please read and check the food label even though you think that it does not have wheat. Additionally, some factories produce other goods where they also produce wheat products.