Aquaphobia is the fear of water. People who have this develop fear and anxiety whenever they see, feel and think about water. Hence, possible causes for having this is a traumatic experience that happened like drowning or any incidents. You can also adapt it to what you see within your family, friend, or environment.
The good thing is, we can treat phobias. Therefore, there are a lot of ways to help a person overcome aquaphobia.
1. Exposure Therapy
One of the ways to treat this fear is to undergo exposure therapy. The therapist will expose you to something you are afraid of, which is the water. Also, the therapist will list and observe your reactions, feelings, and thoughts during the process. In this way, you will learn how you can cope up and face your fear.
2. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
Moreover, CBT is the most used type of therapy. Hence, it can be used to treat your fear and anxiety. It is also the best one to use in treating this phobia. Also, CBT therapists can help in so many ways like the following:
- They will help you release all your negative thoughts and assumptions about water.
- The therapist will ask you to make positive messages for yourself. Therefore, it can replace all the negatives things you have in mind.
- You will write all your thoughts and feelings.
- Perform breathing exercises every day.
- Understand what you are feeling and how to handle it.
People who have severe water phobia will take medicines aside from therapies. Hence, it is not the cure but, it can help a person to calm. These medicines will help to reduce your anxiety, lower your heart rate and lessen panic symptoms.
4. Acknowledge your Fear
Moreover, it is one of the suggested self-help tips you can do at home. By recognizing what you are afraid of, you will have an idea of how to face it. Learn to accept that you have this fear and don’t be shy to ask for help.
5. Swimming Lessons
Once you have already acknowledged your fear, it’s time to save some courage to face it. Swimming lessons can help you to accept and face your fear. Therefore, it is necessary to have a guide whenever you plan to do it.
They can help you overcome water phobia by providing suggestions and exercises.
- You can begin by slowly stepping to the pool.
- Feel the water on your skin.
- Just wet your arms and feet.
- Slowly learning how to stay afloat.
- Try also to put your whole body under the water.
6. Essential Oils
When you can slowly face your fear, you can add some essential oils to your water bath. It can help you calm and relax. Also, it can help to make you feel comfortable and at peace. It may take you some time to overcome it but, remember to be patient with yourself.
7. Support Groups
Furthermore, it is important to let others listen and support you all the way. They could be your family, friends, or any loved ones.
- Also, share your thoughts with family or friends you trust can somehow help to lessen your worries and tension. Don’t keep it inside because it can make your situation worse.
- Don’t hesitate to voice out what you feel so people will know how they can help you.
8. Action Plan
Therapists commonly suggest this. Hence, your therapist will ask you to do some tasks that can help you overcome your fear of water phobia. It could be an action plan which will gradually expose you to water. They may also ask you to:
- Do journals where you can release your thoughts and worries.
- Create your daily goals related to water activities.
9. Appreciate Yourself
Give time to appreciate yourself every day. Facing your fears is a courageous act and something that you should be proud of. You can also reward yourself whenever you reach a goal from your action plan. Above all, you have to be kind to yourself because:
- It is a way to be motivated to cope with your fear of water phobia. You will have extra patience to overcome your fear.
- It can help you to have a positive outlook every day.