Sinuses are the spaces found between our forehead and cheekbones. It gives off snot, which goes out of the nose. Also, mucus helps us in breathing by moistening the air we breathe. But too much snot is a sign of infection. During the infection, swollen sinus linings make it harder for us to breathe. So, knowing sinusitis treatment will stop the pain and further problems.
Effective sinus infection treatments include:
1. Nasal clog remover
As the lining of the sinus swell, the airway will get narrow. Therefore, a decongestant will shrink the inflamed tissues and blood vessels. As a result, it will give you sinus infection relief. It comes in pills, liquids, nose drops, and nasal sprays.
Moreover, tell your doctor about other diseases before deciding to take one. For instance, diabetes, heart problems, and high blood pressure are some diseases you might have.
2. Anti-allergy drugs
During the infection, our bodies might release histamine. Hence, it makes us sneeze, tear up, or feel an itch. Also, it is part of how our bodies react to remove the threat. An example of an allergy is rhinitis. If you want to lessen such symptoms, use an antihistamine.
Additionally, use these pills to give relief to your nose and sinus. Also, avoid taking too much as it can harm you.
3. Apply a warm compress
Apply warm packs or cloth in the forehead, nose, and cheeks. Doing so will loosen snot build-up. Also, you can choose to alternate warm and cold packs. Do it by putting the hot compress in the sinuses for 3 minutes. Afterward, use a cold compress for 30 seconds. Do this three times for four days.
4. Saline solution
Furthermore, salt and water make up the saline solution. Use this sinusitis treatment daily or every other day. It will remove the built-up snot and keeps the passages moist. Likewise, it will ease swelling in your sinuses.
You can make your saline solution or buy it from the nearest pharmacy. It comes as nose drops or nasal spray.
Germs that cause the problem dies due to antibiotics. Consequently, drugs will stop the germs from increasing. So, it will stop the symptoms, which bring stress. Doctors prescribe intake for 10 to 14 days.
6. Over-the-counter painkillers
We feel pain because damaged cells tell it to our brain. Painkillers stop the brain from knowing that something hurts. Reduce the pain you feel by using pain relievers. Do not use potent drugs unless given by a doctor. You can skip this if you can bear the pain.
7. Steroid nasal sprays
There are many aids brought by steroid nasal sprays. It reduces swelling in the nose, treats hay fever and non-allergic rhinitis.
Take caution when using this spray. With improper use, it can cause side effects. Examples of side effects are:
- Burning feeling in the nose
- Dry nose and throat
- Bad sense of taste
- Red and swollen nose
- Itchy nose
Before using this:
- Get the doctor’s advice first.
- Follow the instructions for the dosage to see the best results.
- Use this spray until you get better.
8. Sinus surgery
Medicines do not always relieve and reduce symptoms. In such cases, surgery is the last chance.
During the surgery, doctors remove the blockage. It takes 3-5 days to recover from the surgery. By doing this, you will avoid further problems.
Before trying the sinus infection treatments above, consult your doctor first.
To recover from sinusitis:
- Drink plenty of fluids. Staying hydrated will keep the snot loose and thin. Prefer warm drinks like fruit juice, lemon water, or tea with no caffeine. By doing so, it will help with the liquid flow in the nose.
- Rest well. If your body is telling you to rest, then do it. Infections bring pain and headache. Avoid doing extreme activities.
- Avoid alcohol and milk products. Alcohol can add congestion and pressure in the sinus. For others, milk products can cause their snot to thicken.
- Keep using a saltwater solution for sinus infection relief.
- Continue using hot and cold packs.
- Avoid smoke and pollutants. If you have allergic rhinitis, stay away from what causes it.
- Use steam therapy. Steam inhalers or hot showers will improve your feeling.
- Improve air moisture. Dry air can add up to a stuffed nose and bother your sinuses.