It is a health concern that kills thousands of people around the world every year. Rabies in humans can happen because of a lack of health facilities and veterinary clinics. Hence, every country needs to have programs to solve this problem. The following are important ways to stop the spread of it.
- people participation within the community
- education and awareness of the people
- availability of vaccine for dogs
- bite treatments
If you want a safe place for you and your family, then here are important facts that you should know.
1. What is rabies?
It is a viral illness that can affect people and other animals. Until today, there is still no known cure for it, and it is deadly. Therefore, once signs appear, then the animal may die within five days. The following are other important facts about it.
- One can tell if an animal has it by examining the inside of the brain. However, it is impossible to know if an animal is infected if it’s still alive.
- It can be passed on to people through the saliva. Mostly, it can transfer to people through bite or scratch.
- The time when the signs can appear is different from one person to another. However, the common is within 3 to 8 weeks after exposure. Also, some people experience signs years after it. Likewise, the time before signs appear depends on the seriousness and location of the bite. Therefore, the closer the bite is to the brain, the lesser the time.
- In the United States, there are only two cases of rabies in humans every year.
When signs appear to humans, then it means that it can lead to death. Therefore, it is important to seek treatment after a bite. The following are signs that you need to look out for an animal.
- The very first sign is a change in the behavior of the animal. An animal infected will show signs like aggressiveness or very friendly.
- You will also notice that they will become very sensitive to light and sounds. Additionally, some animals like dogs may suffer from several attacks.
- The final stage is the loss of ability to control their head and mouth. Eventually, the animal will die after these signs.
3. Law about Rabies
It is good to know that each nation has its law when it comes to rabies. Hence, it is strictly implemented, especially for pets like dogs and cats. Also, some laws involve quarantine of the animal who bitten a person or animal. Above all, to protect yourself, it is important to become aware of the law.
4. Rabies Shot
Furthermore, if you are a pet owner, you must take them to a veterinary clinic for a yearly shot. For puppies and kittens, they need the shot 12 weeks after birth. After that, they need another shot when they turn one year old. There is a three-year shot given to animals for the rest of their life. It is good to know that your pet can get it for free from government or private institutions that care for animals.
Moreover, you must always keep your pet’s certificate in a safe area around the house.
5. Animal Bite
The most common rabies causes in humans is an animal bite. Therefore, a pet owner must report if your pet bites someone or an animal. You can contact the local health department for cases of an animal bite. Hence, an officer will contact you for a case report. Therefore, you must show proof of rabies shot for your pet.
Moreover, if another animal bites your pet, then it is important to call your veterinarian right away. Also, ask the owner of the animal to show you proof of vaccination. In case the shot is not updated, you must report it quickly to the local animal authority to look after the animal. Rabies causes by an animal bite or scratch. It is better to ask for a rabies booster for your pet.
6. Animal Scratch
Furthermore, if you got scratched or bitten by an animal, either domestic or wild, it is important to visit a doctor quickly. It is important to get rabies immune globulin along with an anti-rabies shot. Also, the doctor may need to report your case to the local health department. If the animal is a pet of your neighbor, you should ask for proof that the pet receives a shot.
It is against the law to get wild animals as a pet at home. These wild animals have rabies, and most of them do not get a shot. Likewise, avoid being close to wild animals and do not touch these animals using your hands. In case you find sick wild animals, then call your local animal control agency.
Your pets at home should stay away from roaming around the wild. Hence, it will prevent them from getting close to other wild animals. It is also better to feed pets inside the house to avoid attracting wild animals from getting into your yard.
Moreover, teach your kids not to approach any animal, whether it is a pet or a wild animal. Above all, make sure that you receive proper treatment in case of an animal bite or scratch. Ask your doctor about rabies immune globulin and vaccine right away.