Storms may happen every day, especially in tropical countries. However, it can start stronger emotions in both humans and animals. The reaction of people to rain is different from one person to another. Hence, some enjoy watching raindrops and lighting by the window, while others feel a serious fear. Therefore, a severe fear of lighting and thunder is astraphobia.
Children and adults can have it anytime, and it is good to know that there are effective ways to overcome it.
1. Be Familiar with the Storm
Moreover, some fears are unreasonable. Hence, it is caused by not knowing the truth about something. Therefore, by having the right information, it can help you face it. The following are general knowledge that you should know about lighting and thunder.
- During heavy storms, it is good to go inside. Hence, one should not hide under tall trees and any metal objects if you are outside.
- If you are outside in a field, it is important to ensure that you are not the tallest thing around. Also, being the tallest is dangerous.
- It is not true that rubber sole shoes can protect you from being hit by lightning.
2. Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment
It is a type of short term remedy that you can do with a therapist. Hence, one may have a one on one talk or in a group setting. Attending it will help you focus on your fear’s real cause. Aside from that, it turns negative thinking into positive ones. Also, it will make you realize that your fear of thunderstorms is just caused by overthinking.
3. Being Exposed to your Fear
Moreover, there is exposure therapy that will let you experience your fear. Hence, it will slowly introduce you to the things that can start your astraphobia. As a result, you may become familiar with it and eventually overcome it. For instance, it will let you experience something close to storm in a controlled environment.
4. Problem Solving Method
It is a treatment that will let you do meditation exercises and ways to lessen your fear of thunderstorms. Hence, you will find out the right way to process your emotions.
5. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
It involves learning new things that can help you get away with your fears. Also, it will teach you how to accept situations and events in life.
Furthermore, once you ask for the doctor’s help, they may ask you to take some medicines. However, it is not a lifetime solution to your problem. Medicines can help you feel better before and during the storms. Hence, it can lessen serious signs from coming out. But, it will not cure your phobia of thunder. Also, do not take any drugs without a doctor’s advice. It is especially true for people with other health issues.
7. Prevention Tips
Aside from the above-mentioned treatments, they are other things that you can do to decrease the chances of having an attack.
- It is good to avoid checking weather apps. Getting an update every minute or hour about the storm is not a good sign. Hence, it will make you feel the need to keep yourself safe. As a result, it can increase your anxiety, and you will start to feel serious signs.
- Try to use a heavy blanket to cover your body. A feeling of heavy pressure on your body can be very relaxing.
- Do some deep breathing exercises before the heavy storm and try to think of happy thoughts.
- Say a little prayer can make someone feel at ease and safe.
- Also, sharing your fears with friends or loved ones can help you feel better. Likewise, support and comfort from someone are very important in facing fear.
- Listening to music during the storm can help you stay away from negative thinking.
Having a phobia of thunder is something that anyone can overcome. If it is stopping you from finishing your daily activities, then look for proper treatments. Therefore, it is good to talk about it to a doctor or someone close to you. Hence, with the right treatment, anyone can get away from it and live a normal and happy life again.