If you or a relative has asthma, it is important to know the treatment. There are different treatments available to give relief. Hence, there is a short and long-term care plan to get away with attacks. Having a treatment plan can help you and your doctor deal with the symptoms. If you are experiencing signs of an attack, it is good to seek quick relief. For instance, taking an inhaler for cough is one. However, it will not help you for long. One needs to look at long term goals to avoid serious attacks.
There are different kinds of available relief for attacks like fast-acting medicines, long-term plans, or a combination of both. Also, there are many types of inhalers to choose from according to your doctor’s advice.
- Rescue or quick relief- It is the type of medicine that can quickly give relief to an attack. It can offer relaxation to the muscle in the airways, so one can easily breathe.
- Meter dose- It is like an aerosol container that you need to press. Once press, it will release a burst of liquid using a plastic mouthpiece.
- Dry powder- One needs to take medicine through the nose by inhaling it.
Aside from types of inhaler, you may also choose to use a nebulizer. Your doctor can give you a choice to use it instead of an inhaler. Also, it is a machine that can change liquid into a tiny mist. Furthermore, one can easily get the medicine into the lungs. It is good for babies, children, and the elderly.
2. Possible Side Effects
Actually, all medicines have their good and bad effects. For instance, an inhaler for cough can cause serious infections for some. Therefore, talk to your doctor about the effect of the treatment. It is important to find out any bad side effects quickly. A doctor can help you prevent attacks with the use of as little medicine as possible.
3. Other Effective Treatments
It is good to know that medicine is not the only way to control signs of different types of asthma. One choice is bronchial thermoplasty. It is a procedure using a small tube that goes through the wall of the airways. It targets the extra smooth muscles using heat. In addition, people with this illness have several smooth muscles that can block the airways.
4. Asthma Action Plan
You may always hear about the action plan as the best way to deal with it. Also, this plan is available online or written on a piece of paper. So, what is the benefit of a plan?
- Knowing the current situation of your illness
- It can help you with taking medicines on time and the right dose
- One can lists down things o do during an emergency
- It has your doctor contact information
- Particularly, it has ways on how to control attacks
Moreover, there is a need to track your symptoms carefully. Hence, tracking is an important part of the action plan. Tracking includes:
- Green- If you are on the green side, it means that signs are under control. Therefore, you can use regular medicines.
- Yellow- This sign is if you are experiencing symptoms more often than usual. However, there might be a need for a change in medicine or treatment.
- Red- It can happen if you have serious signs. Hence, it needs quick treatment using more than one medicine.
5. Lifestyle Change
Aside from treatment plans, a total change in your bad habits can help avoid types of asthma.
- By doing a breathing exercise, it can lower your need for drugs. Likewise, to control the seriousness of attacks.
- You can choose some herbal treatments. Several natural things can help people with asthma. For instance, black seed oil and caffeine that can open airways. However, it is better to stop drinking caffeine before any test for the lungs.
- Additionally, eating a balanced meal a day with enough fish, meat, and vegetable can help.
6. Avoid Triggers
The outside environment is full of things that can start an attack. If you can keep things under control, then you can decrease the chances of getting an attack.
- If you own a pet, you must stay away from inhaling dander.
- Also, dust mites are another problem. So, make sure that you regularly wash and clean beddings.
- Pollen and mold can also start a serious attack. It is good to avoid going outside in the morning and afternoon.
- It is good to stay away from cigarette smoke.
- When the weather is cold, it is good to cover your mouth and nose.