The polio epidemic also comes from a virus that can start like flu. However, a simple fever can lead to the inability to move. Although it is not a global problem anymore, some countries still have some cases.
The very first people got it are Egyptian mummies. They are found with bone problems, and experts believe that it comes the polio epidemic. It was in 1834 when the first cases of it were recorded on the island St. Helena. It was Popper and Landsteiner who discover polio in 1908. The most popular person who got it was the late Franklin Roosevelt, a United States President.
Many people with poliovirus do not have any signs at all. Mostly, some may not even know that they already have it. Those people without signs belong to one of the two types of this illness.
It is a type that only shows signs the same as flu. For instance, fever, headache, weak muscles are some. Besides, some may also have skin rashes the same as with other illnesses. All of these signs can only last for 10 to 20 days. Therefore, it does not have any bad effects on the body.
With this type, people can still get flu signs for a week. However, it will develop into serious muscle pain and movement. Some people can quickly experience the inability to move a few hours after exposure to poliovirus. Also, it can affect just one side of the body, and some need machines to breathe.
3. Post Signs
Mild signs can, later on, show again after 30 to 40 years. The main cause of these post signs is still unknown. Some includes:
- Joint pains
- Muscle pain
- Spine problem
It is possible to prevent it by getting immunity from vaccine.
- The shot is very important, especially for children, to get lifelong protection from it.
- A shot using inactivated polio is given to children together with protection from other illnesses.
- All children from 2 to 4 must get the shot and another one after 6 to 18 months. A child must get the final shot between 4 to 6 years old to prevent poliomyelitis.
Most people who get the host do not have any problem. However, some may feel little pain in the area.
Doctors find out about the illness by looking at the patient’s past physical examinations. For instance, people who do not get the shot and ha contact with a person with the illness can develop signs. Also, others can ask for tests to find out if the person has it or not.
Moreover, people who already develop poliomyelitis can no longer get back from normal lives. There is still no cure for it until today. It is possible to help the patient using early detection and care. For example, proper nutrition, therapy, enough rest, and drugs to stop pain are some. However, some may need more care and help from others.
People with serious need help in breathing and a special diet. Hence, it is for those who are having a hard time breathing and swallowing.
6. Other Facts
- More people who catch it show no signs at all. Some may experience a little fever and pain.
- It is 1 out of 200 that can cause the inability to move some parts of the body. However, serious cases can lead to death.
- People can infect others through saliva and feces and spread through direct contact. Also, one can get it by eating and drinking food and water.
- It can affect people of any age but is common in children.
- Cases of it are decreasing from thousands to hundreds. The report is from different countries around the world.
- In 2014 cases of the illness decrease and affect only three countries.
- People without any sign can still get other people sick.
It is good to see a doctor right away for any sign of it. People with milder signs must take good care of their bodies. There is a higher chance of getting sick again with much more serious signs.