Aside from rice, sweet potato is also a staple food in different parts of the world. Hence, it is a healthier choice as it is high in fiber and nutrients. Some people are confused with yams and potatoes, but they are different. Yam is harder and drier than potato, which is starchier. If you love eating sweet potatoes, then this article is for you. The following are nutrients in sweet potato that you should know.
Eating boiled potato without the skin will only give you 27 g. of carbs. It is more of starch that is 53%, and it also has natural sugar. However, it is not good for people with diabetes. It can raise the blood sugar level faster after eating. Boiling it makes it a good option than baking, frying, and roasting.
Starches are divided into three types that depend on how it is digested inside the body.
- Rapid: The body readily absorbs this type. Therefore, it can quickly raise the sugar level in the blood.
- Slow: It slowly breaks down and can make very little change in the level of sugar.
- Resistant: It is the type that does not go through the digestion process. Likewise, it acts like fiber that is good for the gut. It can help to increase the growth of good bacteria. Additionally, cooling down the potato before eating can increase this type of starch.
Moreover, it is complete with both soluble and insoluble fiber. Eating it will decrease your need to eat more. It is not easily processed inside the stomach, so that it will stay longer. As a result, you will not eat more than you need.
It is not the best protein source. Hence, it only has 2 grams, but it has sporamins. It is a very uncommon type of protein. Even though it is low in protein, it is the main source, especially in developing countries.
5. Vitamins and Minerals
There are loads of nutrients in sweet potatoes. Fortunately, it has more nutrients than other vegetables. The following are vitamins and minerals that you can get from eating it.
- Vitamin A: It is good for overall health, especially for skin and eye health.
- Vitamin C: You can stay away from a common illness like cold and flu. Also, it helps in faster recovery from sickness.
- Potassium: This nutrient is vital for those who have high blood pressure.
- Manganese: It is the one responsible for the growth and development of the body. Therefore, it is good for growing children.
- Vitamin B6: It is the vitamins in sweet potato that can give ore energy.
- Vitamin E: It is a powerful antioxidant that can help boost the body to fight illnesses that make sweet potato good for you.
6. Plant Compounds
Plant compounds like antioxidants are essential for a healthy body. Hence, it is good to know that all types of sweet potatoes have it. However, it is more abundant in purple and orange type. The more colorful it is, the more it has a high amount of plant compounds. This vitamin in sweet potato is useful to build a healthy body.
Sweet vs. Regular Potatoes
When it comes to nutrients, both types have similar values. However, the sweet one has more fiber and vitamins A. Also, regular ones may have an ingredient that is not good in the body in a large amount that makes sweet potato good for you.
Bad Side Effects
If you have a kidney problem, it is good not to overeat it. It has an ingredient that can become kidney stones. Hence, it is good to eat it in moderation to avoid kidney issues.
Furthermore, one should check the firmness of the potato and with smoother skin. Also, it is better to place them in a cool and dry place. However, it may not take very long, so you need to eat or cook it within 3 to 5 weeks.
Moreover, there are many ways to enjoy eating a sweet potato. The best cooking method is boiling to keep more of its nutrients. However, you may choose to cook it through baking, roasting, and frying.