If you are feeling nervous when you see bees, then maybe you have apiphobia. Hence, it is a type of specific fear that can cause anxiety. People with particular fear have irrational thinking that they are always in danger. Thus, it happens whenever they see, hear or think of bees. Also, they are forming situations in their minds that it is impossible to happen in real life.
1. Bee Stings
A bee sting can cause pain and a bad reaction to the body. That is why many people are afraid of bees. However, people with very frightening experiences with bees may develop apiphobia. Hence, it happens in children and adults working with bees. Also, living around an area with lots of bees around can start the fear of bees. Bees fly in a group, so it is possible to be stung by more than one bee. It can happen when the beehive is disturbed. As a result, they can attack a person in the group.
Also, some people are highly allergic to bee stings. In people with an allergy, even a single sting could cause a dangerous anaphylactic reaction.
2. Killer Bees
Bees are naturally harmless, but media can make them seem like an enemy. There are a lot of popular movies about bees as an enemy. Also, there are the African bees that can give a lot of honey but more aggressive type. It was accidentally released into the wild in 1950 and caused some death to people. It is also the time when cases of phobia of bees increases. Also, it causes panic to people, and they are called the “killer bees.”
3. Causes of the Fear
Today, more people have a fear of insects. However, the main reason is still unknown. The following are some common reasons why the fear of bees may develop.
- Bad experiences. Mostly, fear comes from bad experiences that grow into severe anxiety. For instance, pain because of a bee sting can start the fear. Also, a bad reaction to the body after the sting can start signs of fear.
- Learned behavior. Some do not have had it but learn to fear a bee because of information about it. Also, seeing someone who is very afraid of bees can affect a person’s way of thinking. Therefore, just by seeing and hearing bad stories, they can learn to become scared of bees.
- Individual reaction. Every person has their fears in different ways. Also, some people are very sensitive to pain and nervous, unlike others.
4. Possible Signs
Signs of fear can make a person feel sick and emotionally stressed. If you are experiencing severe fear, then take note of the following emotional signs.
- Intense fear after seeing bees around
- Feeling nervous just by thinking about bees
- Unable to control unreasonable fear
- Avoiding places and activities that may bring you closer to bees
Aside from these signs, you may also feel:
- Heavy seating
- Fast heartbeat
- Chest pain
Moreover, a child with a phobia of bees may also show signs like:
- Intense crying
- Being too clingy
- Unable to move
- Bad behavior
5. Know more about the Fear
Moreover, the truth is that there is no specific laboratory tool that can find out if you have it. A doctor’s way of finding out is through asking questions. They will try to know your family background, health issues, and reasons behind your fear. Also, it is better to tell the doctor about your signs and how long you are experiencing serious fear.
6. Overcoming Fear of Bees
The most important part of the process is to know the right treatment for you. Therefore, it is better to understand the right information about bees, such as:
- Bees only sting when they are being hurt
- Not all bees can sting
- Bees are beneficial insects
This information can help you think positive thoughts about bees. Hence, doctors may suggest different therapies to help you get rid of the fear. Mostly, they will ask you to become familiar and comfortable around bees. However, it does not mean that you need to stay close to bees. You can start by watching videos about bees. Also, it is good to know how to react around bees.