One of the main organs in the body is the lungs. It is an important part of the breathing system or respiratory. Hence, it is also the one that brings oxygen to different parts of the body. Also, it gives off carbon dioxide as people breathe in and out. It is a waste product of the cells from its normal activity. Lungs function is very important for a healthy body.
1. The Tree Shape
The lungs resemble an upside-down letter “Y,” also called the bronchial tree. Therefore, like trees, it also has several small branches like tubes. These branches are very small, with a thickness similar to the hair strand.
2. The Breathing System
Lungs are a part of a large system that is divided into different parts. There is an upper and lower part of the respiratory tract.
The Upper Part
- First are the mouth and the nose where the air enters.
- The air goes to the nasal cavity, then to the lungs.
- The throat is where the air passes through.
- There is a voice box that helps air go to the lungs. Also, it is the one that keeps food and drinks out of the lungs.
The Lower Part
3. How Lungs Function Works
Once you the air enter your mouth and nose, it will travel to:
- the throat and to the trachea
- go into the lungs via the right and left bronchi
- it will go to the tiny airways
- into the tiny bronchiole tubes
- last is to the alveoli
As people breathe, the exchange of air happens. The heart brings back the air to the lung without oxygen. This blood carries carbon dioxide instead of oxygen. After that, blood with oxygen is sent back to the heart from the lungs. Lastly, the carbon dioxide is released from the lungs through the nose and the mouth. Hence, normal lung capacity is very important for overall health.
4. How to Achieve Healthy Human Lungs
Lungs have a way to stay healthy and strong. The alveoli stay open like a balloon even when you exhale. Additionally, the lungs make a fluid, also known as surfactant. It helps it to stay open. This substance has a fatty protein that can help the lungs become healthy.
The human lungs can do a self-cleaning process. Therefore excess mucus is swept away by small hair along the airways called cilia. Typically, people swallow this substance again without noticing it. However, if you have an illness, then lungs may produce more of it.
5. Importance of Lungs
Achieving a normal lung capacity is very important. Breathing is the most common role of the lungs. However, it is doing other roles aside from breathing.
- Maintaining pH balance- Additionally, lungs prevent the body from being acidic. It is through giving off carbon dioxide. When there is an increase in unwanted gas in the body, then the lungs take action.
- It filters- Another role is to filter smaller clots of blood and remove air bubbles.
- It protects- It can serve as the protection of the heart in case of a strong impact.
- Control infection- There is an immunoglobulin that can protect the lungs from infection.
- It shields- It has a way to trap harmful particles and bacteria and carry it out through coughing or swallowing it.
- Supply of blood- It has enough supply of blood that can help the heart. Hence, give the heart enough supply when needed, for instance, during exercise or heavy physical activities.
- Talk- Without the human lungs, we can’t talk.
6. Tips for Healthy Lungs
The body has its way of keeping organs healthy. However, people also have an important role in keeping the lungs healthy to function at its best.
- Keep away from smoke especially cigarette
- Avoid smoke from vehicles and other pollution.
- Regularly brush the teeth of at least twice a day to avoid mouth illnesses.
- Always carry a hand sanitizer.
- Stay away from molds.
- You can use an air purifier.
- Do regular exercise or any physical activity like walking, running, or jogging.
- Get your vaccine for the flu.
- See a doctor for a health check-up.
- Always clean the hands using clean water and soap.