Your kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra are organs in your urinary system. Hence, this system collects waste in your blood. Your pee is a liquid waste that is being processed by the system.
Bacteria can enter the organs in your system, causing an infection. Also, it can cause health complications and damage your organs. Both men and women can have UTI, but women are in the most danger.
1. Women are at more risk than men
Urinary tract infections in women are more serious than in men. Unlike men, a female’s urethra is shorter. The urethra is a thin-tube passageway for the body’s liquid waste. Therefore, having a short tube passage allows the bacteria to travel faster to the bladder. Hence, it is because of the short distance traveled.
Women who have sex and change partners most of the time can get the infection. Having sex makes you more at risk than women who do not. Changing your partner from time to time can higher your chances of having an infection.
Some types of birth control can cause UTI in women. Hence, the most common birth control is the one being placed in your vagina. It does not allow the sperm cell to pass through the entrance to your womb. Also, the changes in the circulation of the female hormones put women at risk.
2. Symptoms of UTI
UTI in women has different symptoms from men. The following are common symptoms of the infection in both.
- One can feel a burning feeling while peeing.
- You pee from time to time with little of it is coming out.
- Frequent peeing
- There is blood in your urine, and it looks cloudy.
- The color of your urine looks like cola or tea.
- Your urine has a strong smell.
- Pain in the pelvis form women and rectum in men.
- These symptoms are going to be in the lower part of your urinary tract. The symptoms in the upper part of the track are different. It includes:
- Pain and tenderness in the upper back and sides
Moreover, your doctor will use these methods to know if you have UTI or not.
- It is a test that will tell the number of your cell and the bacteria present.
- Urine culture
- This method is helpful to know what type of bacteria are present in your pee. Untreated UTI may cause more serious infections as it gets worse.
- Using this, the doctor can see what is inside your urinary tract. This method uses sound waves to form an image.
- This special instrument has a light source and a camera that can fit in the organs of your urinary system.
- CT scan
- It is an imaging test that is the same as an X-ray. But this is more reliable than X-rays.
Urinary tract infection women have the same treatment as men. Therefore, antibiotics are the most common treatment for patients with this infection. Aside from antibiotics, home remedies are also available. Here are some of the treatments you can try at home.
- Stay hydrated
- Drink lots of water. It will make you pee more. If you keep on drinking water, it will not allow bacteria to enter the body.
- You have to pee when needed
- Do not stop yourself from peeing because it can damage your urinary system. Urine is a waste of your body that you have to release. If you do not let it out, it can harm you.
- Drink cranberry juice
- It is a natural treatment that can treat UTI in women and other kinds of infections. Drink 400mL of cranberry juice every day to prevent and treat UTI.
- Use probiotics
Make sure that you are eating good bacteria. You can find good bacteria in yogurt and other fermented foods. Also, these good bacteria help in preventing harmful bacteria from entering your body. It also lowers your pH balance, making it a less favorable environment for the bacteria.
Vitamin C will help in improving your body’s defense system. Many people have been treating their untreated UTI with vitamin c.
5. Wipe your Genitals
UTIs develop when the bacteria from your rectum and feces enter the urinary system. When the bacteria are already in the system, it will move to the other organs in the system. So, after peeing, wipe from front to back. It is to prevent the bacteria from entering your system.
6. Practice Good Hygiene Before and After Sex
Also, being active in sex, it is good to practice good hygiene. It can allow bacteria from the outside of your body to enter during the activity. Therefore, a way of protecting yourself is by using condoms.
If you notice the symptoms of the infection, contact your doctor right away. It is important to treat UTI earlier because it can get worse. Other health complications can result from it. Protect your body so that the bacteria will not be able to enter. It is harder to treat when you already got the infection.