If you find old age interesting, then you need to know more about gerontology. It will give you details about the process of aging, such as care and changes in the body. As people get older, there are unique health needs and problems. Hence, some people study old-age care to maintain the well-being of elders.
In fact, people who reach the age of 65 will experience more than one health condition. For instance, diabetes, heart illness, high blood, and arthritis are some. In addition, some elders may also suffer from other problems like difficulty in moving. Professionals in the field of gerontology can help solve these challenges.
The truth is that elders, most of the time, does not want to accept help. Hence, most of them feel ashamed of asking for help. Relatives should also remember that elders can still decide about their care. It is important to ask what they want before anything else. Most of the time, it is very challenging for younger ones to understand elders. The purpose of senior care is t keep them happy and comfortable.
Moreover, seniors may need help in activities like eating, bathing, laundry, shopping, and many more. Aside from that, they also need someone to talk to and companionship.
2. Personal Care
One of the hardest parts of caring for older people is bathing. It is not easy to convince elders to let someone help them during bathing. Therefore, it is better if a family member will do it instead of someone they do not know. The following are things you can do:
- Create a schedule- Before making a schedule, you must know the condition of the elder. Some may only need bathing 2 to 3 times a week. Also, some need a full body sponge bath every day.
- Talk to them- Old age is not easy, especially if they need to ask others. So, if you need to help an elder to take a bath, talk to them. Talking to them will help them feel comfortable.
- Know their needs- Mostly elders experience a hard time controlling bladder and bowel movement. Hence, it is good to know what items they need to give the right care for elders. It is important to use the right devices and cleaning items. For instance, a hygiene kit and toiletries are some.
- Always be patient- Above all, patience is what you need to care for people in their old age.
Elders are prone to accidents like falls and slip. It can happen because of poor eyesight and weakness. The following are things you can do to avoid accidents inside the house.
- It is important not to leave things on the floor to avoid accidents. Also, it is better to use an anti-slip mat inside the bathroom.
- Also, make the house safe to move by putting furniture and other items close to the wall.
- It is good if a senior will not try to climb the stairs.
- Additionally, installing grab bars and handrails around the house, especially inside the bathroom, can help.
- Another is keeping the home well lit.
- An important part of geriatric care is taking medicines on time. It is good to create a list of their medicines and keep track of time.
Furthermore, geriatric care involves helping elders in moving around. However, one should know the right way to move them to avoid added injuries.
- In lifting, never use your back. Instead, use the strength from the legs.
- If you need to lift too someone heavier than you, ask for help.
- Always ask for their permission first before doing anything.
When you need to assist them for a walk, allow them to do it alone using a device if they can. In the case of a senior who needs help, you should put yourself on the weaker side. In case of a fall, check first for possible injuries. If there is no injury, try to help them stand on their two feet. If there is an injury, quickly ask for medical help.
5. Other Services
An elder’s home needs to be well lighted to become safe and comfortable. Additionally, one needs to keep their house clean and safe to move. Caring for them may include doing some household chores like cooking, cleaning, doing dishes, washing clothes, and taking out the trash.
Moreover, they may also need help with changing linens and buying groceries for them. It is true, especially nowadays, when they need to stay home.
6. Meal Preparation
Most of the time, seniors cannot cook for themselves, so they need some help. However, as their cook, you also need to know their personal preference and health condition. Food is an important part of becoming healthy. Hence, you may need to ask their doctor or nutritionist for help.
Some elders want to become part of their meal preparation. You can plan and also cook meals together. Another is to take them with you during grocery shopping.