Having high blood pressure means that you already need to taking medications to maintain it to a normal level. However, it’s not always the case as there are natural ways to achieve good blood pressure without taking any medicine. The pressure reading depends on how much pressure the arteries receive as the heart pumps blood. If arteries are narrower, then it means that it needs more pressure to pump blood.
The normal level is 120/80 and above, which is already considered high. However, if you have consistent 130/80 readings, you are at risk of high blood pressure over time. Also, early detection is better because simple lifestyle changes can save you. Hence, if you are already at risk, you may treat it without the help of medicines.
The following are safe and science base ways to achieve good blood pressure.
1. Watch your Waistline
Losing weight is key to avoid having high blood pressure. If you are overweight, then you will have a hard time breathing. It can happen, especially while you are sleeping. Therefore, one should aim for normal body weight to stay away from this health condition. Also, losing a few pounds will have a positive effect on achieving healthy blood pressure. Additionally, with each kilogram you lose, you decrease the pressure by 1 millimeter.
Aside from that, it is very important to know your waistline. Hence, too much weight around the waist area can put you at risk of developing the problem.
- For men, a waistline that is more than 40 inches is at risk of having high blood pressure.
- For women, a waistline that is more than 35 will put them at risk of having it as well.
It is essential always to visit your doctor if you are feeling some signs.
2. Have a Regular Physical Activity
Doing an everyday physical activity for 30 minutes is good for overall health. Hence, it can lower it down to 5 to 8 mm Hg. However, one should be consistent in doing their exercises daily.
If you already have elevated blood pressure, then some physical activities can prevent it from becoming hypertension. However, exercising every day can lower it down to a normal level if you already have one.
Moreover, it is better to do aerobic exercises as it can help you to sweat more. For instance, you can try walking, jogging, dancing, cycling, or swimming. These are all the best forms of physical activities that give a healthy blood pressure. Aside from that, you may also try a high-intensity workout. However, it is good to talk to your doctor about it before trying any intense workout.
3. Develop a Healthy Eating Habit
Moreover, eating the right kinds of food is a huge help. For instance, you may eat foods high in fiber like vegetables and fruits. Also, it is better to have a low-fat diet. Decreasing the amount of sodium from processed foods is also one way to avoid this problem. Changes in your diet can lower it down to 11 mm Hg. A diet for healthy blood pressure is known as DASH.
However, it is not easy to do, especially if you like eating fatty and sweet foods. You can do these tips to make changes easier for you.
- You can have a food diary. Hence, it will help write down all the foods you eat every day for one week. Also, one can get an idea if they are eating healthy or not. Therefore, you can decide what is bad for your health. Also, it is useful to monitor how much and when you are eating the most.
- You can boost your immune system. Increasing intake of green leafy vegetables and fruits can lower down sodium levels.
- Become a wise shopper. By reading food labels, one can stay away from eating unhealthy foods. Also, stick to healthy food choices if you are eating out.
4. Avoid too much Sodium
It is better if you will stay away from eating foods rich in sodium. As a result, a small decrease in your sodium intake will have a significant effect. It is healthy for the heart, and you will reach your ideal blood pressure. The following are useful tips to lower it down to a minimum level.
- Always read the labels. As much as possible, it is better to choose foods that are low in sodium. Also, staying away from processed or canned foods is the best thing to do.
- It is good not to add too much salt to dishes. Hence, you may choose to add more spices for additional flavor than salt. Also, spices are healthier options.
5. Decrease Alcoholic Drinks
According to studies, alcohol may have a good and ad effect on high blood pressure. Therefore, a small amount of it can help reach ideal blood pressure. However, drinking too much can quickly increase the pressure. Also, another bad effect is it can make the medication less effective.
6. Do Not Smoke
Each cigarette stick can quickly increase the pressure right after having it. Hence, quitting smoking can benefit your health and increase your lifespan as well.