One way to effectively treat hemophilia A, B, or C is to replace the missing factor in the blood. Hence, by replacing it, then the blood can do its normal work like blood clotting. It is done through the injection of the products within the vein. These products are very effective in stopping the bleeding right away and prevent it from happening.
Today, people with this illness and their families already know who to give the products at home. Doing it at home is better because it can treat the bleeding immediately. Therefore, it can result in less severe problems.
The following are essential information that you should know about possible treatments for missing factor 8 and others in the blood.
1. Possible Effect
Our body has its way of defending against harmful matters. Likewise, it may have the same effect after giving the product inside the body. Body defenses may destroy it before making its way to the blood to do its work. Therefore, when it happens, it might cause a serious problem. About 20 to 30 percent of people with severe cases of type A may experience this side effect. Also, for type B, there is a 2 to 5 percent chance of developing it.
Moreover, when it happens, doctors may give a higher dose of the product. There are instances when it will go away after some time, and the hemophilia treatment will work.
2. It is Safe
Human blood may carry some harmful matters. Hence, there is a higher chance of getting other illnesses from a blood product. However, one should not worry because there is very little chance of getting a disease out of this process. It is safe due to:
- Careful screening process.
- Testing of blood products.
- Treating of product using heating and detergent to kill viruses.
- Hepa shot for patients before having the procedure.
3. Joints and Muscle Damages
Delaying hemophilia treatment may cause serious health problems. One may experience problems like:
- Bleeding in the joint can result in changes in shape and inability to move.
- Pain and redness.
- Strong pressure around it might destroy the joint.
4. Home Treatment
Doctors may suggest both preventive and demand therapy at home. Patients should learn how to do it at home with their family members. Also, doing home treatment has a lot of advantages.
- You may get treatment right away when bleeding happens. Getting early treatment may decrease the chances of serious health problems.
- There is no need to regularly visit the doctor and the emergency room.
- Home treatment is affordable than having it inside the hospital.
- Doing it at home may help patients to accept their condition and take responsibility for their health.
The doctor may ask the patient and the family to do a home treatment, or you may ask them for it. Also, the doctor will be the one to teach you how to do it properly and safely.
Another way for an easy procedure at home is putting a device directly in the body. However, the problem is that it may be prone to infection. Therefore, your doctor can help you decide whether the device is best for you or not.
5. Gene Treatment
Studies are trying to correct the error in genes that cause the lack of factor 8 and others. However, this treatment has not been fully developed and accepted. However, testing for this treatment is on its way.
6. Treatment for Signs
Some medicines can get rid of pain and other signs like swelling. If you want to take medicine, it is essential to ask your doctor about it first. Also, doctors will consider the seriousness of your health condition before giving a specific medicine.
The hardest condition to handle is with children because they have a very weak tolerance to pain. Therefore, if you see some signs with your children, it is good to schedule a doctor’s visit to run some tests quickly.
7. Prevent Bleeding
There are things to remember so you can prevent bleeding if you or your child have this illness.
- It is good to tell your doctor or dentist about your case or if your child has it.
- If you or your child needs a shot, it is important to have it just under the skin than the muscle using a tiny needle. Also, the nurse or staff who will give it must be aware of the condition.
- Applying pressure and ice to the part where the shot is given for 5 to 10 minutes can stop the bleeding.
- It is important not to allow a doctor or dentist to open the skin unless your healthcare team approves it.
- Some medicines may affect platelet. Therefore, talk to your doctor before taking or giving your child medicine.
- A child with this illness should always wear protective gear like a helmet and knee pad when doing biking activities.
- Children with this illness must not play extreme sports like football, basketball, boxing, or anything with physical contact.