It is an illness usually in kids but can also develop in adults. A doctor can tell if it is chickenpox just by looking t the rashes. Hence, if there is a doubt, a doctor can ask for a blood and culture sample from the rash. The right and quick chickenpox treatment is very important to avoid it from getting serious.
Moreover, health children do not need any medicine. It can go away without any problem. However, a doctor can give medicine to stop itchiness. Therefore, the illnesses will heal after a week or more.
2. Treatment to avoid getting serious
Some chickenpox treatment is advisable to avoid getting serious. Medicines are given for faster healing and decrease the seriousness. However, if a child or anyone has a higher chance of getting serious, a doctor can give medicines. For instance, drugs like acyclovir and Privigen are some. It can decrease the seriousness of the illness within 24 hours after. Also, if one family member has it and you have had it yet, a doctor can suggest a shot. The vaccine can make the signs milder.
3. Cure for Complications
In case complications appear, then the doctor will give proper treatment. Hence, the doctor can offer antibiotics to stop skin problems and pneumonia. Also, an antiviral drug is important to stop brain inflammation. Furthermore, a patient may need to go to the hospital.
4. Home Treatment
Depending on chickenpox stages, one can do some home remedies. There is an effective self-care that one can do. Hence, it will stop the illness from getting worse.
Do not Scratch
There are very itchy chickenpox stages. It can happen once rashes are all over the body. Once the rashes have scabs, it is also itchy. However, scratching can cause a deep scar and slow down healing. A deep scratch can become a serious wound. For babies, you can put on a glove to the hands, especially before going to sleep. Also, you always need to trim the nails.
How to stop itchiness?
The rashes are what make chickenpox contagious. A person exposes to it will also get it if he is not immune to the virus. So, it is important to stop touching and scratching to avoid spread. If you are finding relief, then you try:
- Having a cool bath with added baking soda into the water
- A calamine lotion can help
- If rashes affect the mouth area, soft food can help
- Also, drugs to stop itching are useful but ask your doctor first.
Having a fever is common, but if it lasts for several days and gets very high, calls for a doctor right away. Never give aspirin to baby, children, and teenagers with fever. Hence, it can go to a worse case called Reye’s syndrome. Also, talk to a doctor right before giving any drug, especially to babies, children, and the elderly.
5. A Doctor Visit
If you happen to suspect this illness, then set an appointment. It is better to talk to a doctor ahead through a phone call. Chickenpox is contagious, especially to already sick people.
If it is impossible to go to the doctor right away, ask for some advice. You may need to stay in a room away from other people. It is true, especially if there are kids, pregnant women, elders, and sick people who haven’t had it before. The following are things to do before seeing a doctor.
- You may write down all the signs you experience.
- Try to recall people you have met before the signs appear.
- List down other health problems you may have.
- Write down possible questions you want to ask the doctor.
Some good questions to ask are:
- What are the possible causes of your signs?
- What is the most effective treatment?
- How long is the recovery time of the illness?
- Are there some home remedies that you can do?
- How to stop the spread of the illness?
If you have other questions, ask your doctor right away.
6. How to Help a Child Feel Better?
Children are, most of the time, seriously affected. Hence, there are things you can do to help them feel better.
- You may use a cold compress or warm bath to stop itchiness. One can do it every 3 to 4 hours but check for fever before bathing.
- It is important not to rub rashes after taking a bath.
- You may use calamine lotion on the affected part but seek a doctor’s approval.
- In case of mouth sore, ask for effective treatment from the doctor.