The ketogenic diet is high in good fat and very low in carbohydrates. Hence, a typical diet for people with diabetes is to focus on losing weight. Therefore, eating high-fat foods is not an option. However, it is different from keto because it has different from how the body stores and uses energy. Keto for diabetes makes use of fats as energy instead of sugar. It is not new because it was being used to treat people with epilepsy started in the 1920s.
Moreover, the diet does not need a lot of insulin to lower blood sugar levels. However, it is it for all, so it is best to ask your doctor before trying it. If you want to know more about it, continue reading this article.
1. Help in Losing Weight
Many people go into this diet to lose weight. However, some studies discover its benefits for people with diabetes. Hence, it is very effective if you want to lose weight. The fact that it gets rid of carbohydrates in the diet makes it good for losing weight. Once you eat foods with very low carbs, the body will change its way of getting energy. It will go into the ketosis stage, wherein the body uses fat. That is why high-fat foods are very important in the diet.
Moreover, the body will not use protein reserves in muscles for energy. Likewise, it is useful for people doing an intense workout.
2. Full Control of Sugar
People go for keto for diabetes because it effectively brings back the normal sugar level in the body. It is mainly the carbs that can raise sugar in the blood. Therefore, cutting carbs in your diet will surely lower down the sugar.
3. Decrease the Need for Medication
Because the sugar in keto is very low, surely one will decrease its need for medication. It will the body’s need to use insulin. According to a study done by Westman, it reduces the need to take medicines by 95%. Also, some completely stop using medicines. However, regular checkup of your blood sugar level is still important. Also, it is good to ask for the guidance of your doctor before you start the diet.
4. Improve Insulin Sensitivity
Moreover, people with type 2 diabetes have insulin that is not working. Hence, it results in having too much in the blood that is not being used properly. However, having a low blood sugar diet will decrease the body’s need to create more insulin. As a result, it increases its effectiveness in using sugar in the blood. Additionally, fat can be used as energy, even with low insulin levels in the body.
5. Lower Blood Pressure
Along with diabetes, some also develop high blood pressure. Hence, it happens because blood becomes thick because of high sugar. Therefore, there is an increased pressure in the arteries to supply enough blood all over the body. Also, losing a lot of weight can solve this problem. Excess weight, especially fat around the waistline, is very dangerous to health.
6. Bring Down Bad Fat
A low blood sugar diet is high in fat, but it only uses healthy fat. The good thing about it is that it brings down bad fat and increases good fat.
Furthermore, trying out this diet is easy if you know the right food choices. The following is a list of food choices that can help you manage your sugar in keto.
- Vegetables- It is good if you will choose to eat green leafy vegetables. Also, stay away from starchy veggies like corn and potatoes.
- Eggs- This food is rich in protein and very low in carbs.
- Meat- Eating meat is acceptable for this diet but in moderation. It is especially true for high-fat meat like pork and beef. It is better to choose lean and white meat. Also, eating too high protein is not good as it can raise blood sugar.
- Healthy Fats- Moreover, there are lots of sources of good fats like nuts, olive oil, avocados, and seeds.
- Fishes- It is the best source of healthy fat like omega 3.
- Berries- This fruit is rich in nutrients, fiber, and antioxidant useful for people with diabetes. However, it is important to avoid overeating.