Escherichia coli can live inside the stomach. Surprisingly, some types are not harmful. Hence, some can even help the stomach become healthy, but there are bad ones. The bad ones can make a person very ill after eating food or drinking water. The following are other important facts about it that everyone should know.
Signs that you already have Escherichia coli start 1 to 10 days after getting it. Once a person experiences these signs, then it may last for 5 to 10 days. The following signs include:
- Pain in the stomach
- Watery and blood in stool
- loss of appetite
Moreover, serious cases also have different signs that you need to know.
- Blood in the urine
- Lack of water in the body
It is important to go to the hospital right away if you experience any of these signs. Hence, 5 out of 10 cases can cause a serious condition that damages different body parts. Also, it can happen to children and elders, and quick medical attention is needed.
E Coli bacteria can live inside the stomach of both people and animals, but bad ones can harm the body. Anyone can get it at any age, and there are different ways how one can get it.
Some people do not know to cook and handle food properly. It can happen inside the home, restaurant, or grocery store. People who are handling food must wash their hands. The following are possible causes:
- Touching food with dirty hands
- Use of dirty utensils and plates
- Not washing of hands before and after eating
- Eating food left for more than two hours outside
- Foods that are not cooked at the right temperature, especially chicken and meat
- Eating uncooked food
- Drinking milk straight from an animal
- Fruits and vegetables that properly washed
Another way to get E Coli bacteria is through improper slaughtering of meat.
Drinking water from an unknown source is very dangerous to health. It may have both human and animal waste. By drinking or swimming in dirty water, a person can easily get sick.
Person to Person
A person who is ill can infect another person. Hence, it can happen when hands are not properly washed after going to the bathroom. Furthermore, it can spread once a person touches something. Places with high chances of spread are schools, nursing homes, and child care houses.
If you are working on a farm, then you are at risk. Therefore, touching animals and things they use can start the spread. People working inside a farm must be very clean and practice good hygiene. Always wash hands after touching an animal.
3. Who can get sick?
An e coli outbreak can happen if there are large numbers of people who are:
- older and very young
- sick and very weak because of other illnesses
- taking other medicines that can increase the acid level in the stomach
- drinking milk and juices that do not properly go through the heating process
- eating uncooked meat
- travelers going to unfamiliar places
Moreover, e coli outbreak cases can increase during the summer season that can start from June up to September.
Mostly, cases are mild, and treatment is possible inside the house. Hence, drinking a lot of water, getting enough rest, and looking out for serious signs are effective treatments. If a person continuously vomits, it can lead to a lack of water. Therefore, one should quickly call a hospital or doctor for medication.
For babies and children, it is important to always ask a doctor before giving any drug. Also, it is the same for elders who are sick. The recovery time is within 5 to 7 days after the first sign.
Moreover, it is good to eat light foods once you feel better. You may eat soup, crackers, rice, and egg. Also, it is good to drink a lot of clean water.
There are ways to prevent getting this illness. It includes:
- proper washing of foods
- cleaning of utensils and plates
- keep raw meat away from cooked foods
- avoid thawing meat outside
- thaw meat inside the ref or using a microwave
- put leftovers inside the fridge
- do not drink raw milk
- avoid preparing food if you are sick
Foods to avoid
Some foods can invite this illness inside your home.
- The burger patty is dangerous to eat if it is not cooked properly.
- Juices and milk can also make you sick.
- Half cook boiled egg is not good, especially for babies.