Having a fear or phobia is not a joke as it can heavily affect a person’s everyday life. Hence, aside from not being able to do your daily tasks, it can also be a danger to your health. It is the same with dentophobia or fear of going to the dentist. However, this type of fear is common to children, but it can also happen to adults. Again, it may start because of a fear of going to a doctor, it is a different type, but it might be why you are afraid of going to a dentist.
Having this fear can be a mild or severe case that can become a severe health issue. The following are types as it can be divided according to the thing that can start your fear.
1. Elements of Fear of Dentists
People with this fear might become afraid of different things aside from the dentists. Also, it can happen at the same time. Therefore, if you are fearful of more than two things, then you can experience serious attacks.
- Dentists: Like doctors, dentists are one of the most feared people by many, especially children. This kind of fear is unreasonable, but it is one of the worse fears. It can happen when a person has a bad experience going to a dentist.
- Pain: Going to a dentist means pain for many. It is impossible not to feel any pain from dental procedures. Although most procedures today are painless, it is possible that you feel something. Also, some people are very sensitive, even to very little pain.
- Trouble Breathing: Those who already experienced choking have a higher chance of having a fear of the dentist. Procedures will make your mouth numb, so you will not feel anything. However, some are afraid that they might not breathe when it happens.
- Sound and Smell: Those who have bad experienced before going to a dentist are afraid of the sounds and smell inside the clinic. Therefore, an attack may start once you enter the clinic and smell the same scent. Also, the sound of the tools can start your signs.
- Needles: people who are afraid of a needle will also fear going inside a dentist clinic. The most procedure includes the use of injection.
2. Possible Causes
Moreover, there are different reasons why a person may develop this kind of fear.
- a bad experience before inside a hospital or clinic
- old accidents in the head or neck
- other bad events in life like abuse
- a mental illness
- the feeling of doing something inside the mouth
- feel of not having control
- fear of giving trust
- other fears like being afraid of the doctor
3. Who can experience it?
Anyone can have a fear of dentists, and it can happen at any age. Hence, children with bad experiences with doctors or clinics can overcome it. It is with the help of the right care and support from family during visits to the dentists. Therefore, it is good to make them feel safe and secure. However, people who develop the fear late in life are harder to treat than children. Finding the right dentist might help you to recover from a phobia.
4. Possible Complications
Dental health is different from one person to another. That is why each person may have different dental care needs. Hence, some people may not need to visit a dentist more often, while others have to do it once or twice a year. Also, people who always have gum or teeth problems have a higher chance of having dentophobia. Therefore, if you are having dental issues, then a regular visit is essential.
Furthermore, people who always have a dental problem may become afraid of going to the dentist. As a result, a person may have poor dental health. Therefore, having dental issues can badly affect someone’s life. One is having a hard time getting a job or feel of being alone.
In serious cases, one can develop a serve infection that can lead to other health problems.
5. How can it affect a Person’s Life?
Trying to avoid a dentist’s visit may become a reason for emergency cases of more hard treatments. Therefore, a person may undergo a more painful procedure. Going to the dentist is not only about pain, but it is also a way to know how you can take good care of your oral health.