Humans consume milk from infancy to the elderly, so it is an essential source of vitamins and minerals. Milk is produced by female mammals like humans to feed their newborns. Health professionals recommended breast milk as the very first food for newborns as it is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and an immunity booster called colostrums. Other health benefits of milk also come from cows, goats, and sheep milk.
There is no doubt that milk is nutrient-dense. The following are science-based benefits that you can get from drinking your milk every night.
1. Milk is good for the Skin
If you want a flawless complexion like Cleopatra, who used to bathe in milk, you can also consider doing so as milk makes the skin feel supple, soft, and radiant. However, one can get the most out of milk nutrition by drinking it rather than using it as your bath. There is no need to fill your tub; you can drink one to two glasses of it every day in the morning or before bedtime.
2. Nutrient-Dense Milk
The health benefits of milk have an impressive profile. It is the primary source of nourishment for newborns and is one of the best refreshments to enjoy, whether hot or cold. A cup can offer milk calories of about 146, 8 grams of protein, and 8 grams of fat. People are well aware that it is a calcium source, but there are other essential nutrients that you can get from drinking milk. These nutrients usually lack normal individuals’ diets such as Vitamin B1, B2, B12, D, selenium, phosphorus, and potassium.
Additionally, it is the best protein source and some fatty acids like CLA or conjugated linoleic acid and the popular omega-3 fatty acid. Fatty acids are known to decrease the risk of having heart diseases and diabetes that makes milk good for you.
However, nutritional value may vary depending on where and how it was processed. Milk that comes from grass-fed cows contains more of CLA and omega-3 fatty acids. Also, some cows were fed with organic grass, which is known to have more beneficial antioxidants like beta-carotene and vitamin E than those that only consumed ordinary grass.
3. Milk is a Good Source of High-Grade Protein
For vegan and vegetarian practitioners, milk their best source of high-grade protein, which is 8 grams per one cup. Protein is an essential macronutrient that your body needs to consume daily. It is crucial to different vital processes in the body, such as cellular growth, repair, and the immune system’s normal functioning. The health benefits of milk are a good source of complete protein, meaning it has nine essential amino acids that your body needs to function well.
There are two types of protein that you can find in milk one is the casein, which is abundant in cow’s milk for about 70 to 80 percent of its total protein content. The other protein is whey protein that is only 20 percent of the cow’s milk’s protein content. The whey protein comprises branched-chain amino acids such as isoleucine, leucine, and valine, which is responsible for the development of muscles, fuel during exercise, and it can prevent muscle loss that makes milk good for you.
Several scientific studies have proven the effectiveness of milk nutrition after a workout to lessen muscle damage, soreness, and promote muscle strength and repair.
4. Milk for Optimum Bone Health
Even many years ago, milk was an essential source of calcium for healthier bones. About 99% of the body’s calcium is in bones and teeth, so one must consume enough calcium in their diet to have calcium reserve and other essential nutrients such as potassium, protein, and vitamin K2 (found in grass-fed full dairy milk).
Consumption of milk calories in the diet is proven to prevent the likelihood of developing osteoporosis and bone fractures later in life. More evidence proved that consuming high protein sources in the diet can stop bone loss in women.
5. Milk can Aid in Weight Gain
There are scientific studies that connected milk to lower the risk of obesity. However, this benefit on weight gain relates to “whole milk consumption.” Research done in 145 three-year-old children found out that drinking milk with higher fat content is connected to a lower likelihood of having childhood obesity.
Another human trial in 18,000 middle-age and old age women proved that high-fat dairy milk consumption was linked to a lesser likelihood of obesity and weight gain. The health benefits of milk are connected to weight loss because of its high protein content that can make you feel fuller that can prevent you from overeating.