Asthma is an illness that can produce mucus and block the airways. Also, it brings swelling to that part. It can make breathing very hard and cause coughing, wheezing sound, and shortness of breath. For some people, it can be very mild, but others experience severe form. It can stop us from doing daily activities. There is asthma in babies that parents need to know. Hence, it can endanger their life, so make sure they can get immediate treatment.
It is better to understand that there is no cure for asthma. However, drugs can control the symptoms. The following are important facts that you need to know about the illness.
Signs of it are different from one person to another. Some people may experience a few attacks, like when doing physical activities. For instance, running or heavy exercise activity is some. Others may have frequent signs, even at rest. Some common asthma symptoms are:
- Chest tightness and pain
- Wheezing sound
- Shortness of breath
- Trouble sleeping
- Heavy coughing
There are also asthma symptoms that can tell you if it is worsening. Some includes:
- Everyday attacks
- Increase in ability to breathe
- The need for an inhaler
Also, some activities can quickly start an attack. For instance, exercising for a long time is one. It can happen, especially if the air is dry and cold. In addition, there is an occupation type that can start at work. The attack can happen when the workplace has some irritants like dust and other tiny particles. It is also called atopic asthma when allergens in the air cause it.
2. When to See a Doctor?
Moreover, it is good to know the right time to see your doctor. Some attacks are life-threatening, so one must quickly see a doctor.
- Fast breathing
- No sign of improvement after taking drugs or inhaler
- Shortness of breath after doing little activities
Maybe you are thinking, why see a doctor right away?
- See a doctor if you think that your daily activity is affected by coughing and lasts for several days. Early treatment for this illness means the quality of life. It can prevent more lung damages.
- See a doctor to seek for long term care. This plan is important to control the signs and make you feel better.
- See a doctor is a sign get. However, you do not want to reach that point.
- Asthma may change over time, so meet your doctor for a review. It is good to discuss your progress regularly.
If you think you have atopic asthma, then know about its possible causes. The outside environment is the number one cause of attacks. However, family background is also another issue.
People who are always exposed to irritants like pollen, dust, and dirt are at risk. What can trigger asthma for you is different for another person. Mainly, the following are common causes of attacks.
- Tiny particles in the air like dust, pet hair, spores, and pollen
- An infection like cold or flu
- Heavy physical activity
- Cold air
- Some drugs like aspirin, ibuprofen, and more
- Stress and emotions
- Preservatives added to food
- And stomach acid
4. Other Risks
By the way, there are reasons for one to increase their chances of developing asthma. The following are:
- Having a relative with the same illness as parents or siblings
- Other health issues like atopic dermatitis
- Overweight and obesity
- Smelling smoke from a cigarette
- Inhaling smoke from vehicles
- Inhaling chemicals
Indeed, there is still no cure for asthma. However, one can prevent it from happening. It is through the help of your doctor and the right treatment care plan. The following are ways to prevent attacks from affecting your life.
- It is important to follow the action plan and discuss it with your doctor. List a detailed plan of taking medicines. Also, note steps on how to prevent attacks.
- You can choose to get a vaccine for pneumonia.
- Furthermore, it is a must to know and avoid things that can start the attack.
- Also, it is good to count your breathing.
- One should quickly act at the start of the attack. It is important to avoid serious signs. Hence, it is important, especially for asthma in babies. Knowing the first sign can save the life of the baby.
- One should not miss taking their medicines according to the doctor’s prescription.
- The use of inhalers is not good. Seek for doctor’s advice if you are dependent on it.