Alcohol Overdose happens when one consumes a large amount of alcohol. The amount cannot be taken by the body properly. The result is a toxic amount of alcohol in the blood. Hence, it is a serious condition that can affect anyone. Therefore, it is even worse for those who are not mindful of alcohol consumption.
1. Know the Signs
First, look out for signs of Alcohol Overdose. These are:
- Slurred speech
- Smelling like alcohol
- Damp skin
- Throwing up
- Difficulty staying awake
- Slow breathing
- Long pauses between breaths
- Pale skin
- Low body temperature
- Very slow heartbeat
Do not disregard the signs. The person will be extremely confused, unresponsive, and disoriented. They will also have shallow breathing and pass out. Worse cases involve being in a coma. This type of poisoning is life-threatening. Urgent medical attention is needed.
2. Know the Cause
Alcohol is an antidepressant. It affects the brain and the nervous system. It can slow down breathing as well as heart rate. The liver is vital in processing alcohol in the body. The alcohol can bring damage once mixed in the bloodstream. That is why the liver keeps it from doing so. However, if one drinks too much in a short time, the liver will have a hard time processing it. Above all, it is what causes alcohol poisoning.
Ethanol is one of the components of alcohol. Therefore, it is what mainly causes poisoning. Binge drinking is a common reason for alcohol poisoning. It is drinking too much alcohol in a short time. Binge drinking in men is drinking more than five drinks in less than 2 hours. While for women, it is four drinks or more at the same time.
Our bodies absorb alcohol easily. It takes a shorter to absorb it compared to other nutrients. However, it takes longer for the body to get rid of alcohol. It will continue to release from the stomach even if one is passed out. The alcohol concentration in the blood will continue to increase for 30-40 minutes even after one stopped drinking.
3. First Aid
Alcohol Poisoning Cure involves giving immediate care. It is usually an emergency. If you notice someone who has it, do not hesitate to help them. Just be sure to handle them with care. Try to keep them awake. If you can, sit them upright. Prevent them from lying down. However, if they need to lie down, turn them to the sides. Not doing this may cause them to choke on their vomit. Give water if they can take it. Do not give coffee. The caffeine will worsen their dehydration. It is better not to make them walk. They do not have the proper orientation that will cause them to fall off. Once the rescue arrives, be ready to provide information about the patient. Medical experts best handle alcohol poisoning treatment.
Alcohol poisoning treatment will depend on the amount of alcohol in the body. Doctors will also take note of the severity of the signs and symptoms. They may monitor them first until the alcohol levels drop. If not, they will proceed with other procedures. Therefore, it includes the insertion of a tube into the windpipe. It will help the patient breathe. Also, an IV can help the patient. Hence, it is good to manage the nutrient levels in the body. The last resort is the pumping of the stomach. It flushes the fluids from the stomach.
However, there is no way to reverse the effects of poisoning. The patient can only rely on time and supportive care. They need constant monitoring until they improve.
The best Alcohol poisoning cure is prevention. Be mindful of your drinking. Only drink amounts that your body can handle. Do not drink more than two drinks a day if you are a man. For women, do not take more than one drink a day. Try to drink slowly. Make sure that you drink water in between alcoholic drinks.
Moreover, do not drink on an empty stomach. Also, food in the stomach can slow alcohol absorption. However, it does not mean that eating before drinking will not cause alcohol poisoning. Do not forget to consider the amount you are taking in. Try to avoid drinking games. It may cause you to drink more than you can keep track of. Do not take prescription medicines when you are drinking. As a result, it can increase the risk of breathing difficulties.