Fear of flying is a very interesting topic because most people experience it. Hence, it can happen, especially when it is your first time to ride an airplane. According to experts, traveling through air is the safest than getting into a car, train, and other means of transportation. Also, some studies show that 2 to 40% of passengers experience it every year. This number comes from those people that come to visit doctors, while others think that they have this fear.
Moreover, many might fear flying, but only a small portion of the population may have real fear. Therefore, once you develop the fear, then it might affect your life and enjoyment.
1. Signs to Look Out For
People who are afraid of flying above the sky are the same as those who have aviophobia. Therefore, they will have similar signs like:
- Feeling of choking
- Flushed skin
- Shortness of breath
- Heavy sweating
The worse thing that can happen is a serious panic attack when a person may experience loss of consciousness. Hence, it is a serious fear together with a fast heartbeat, fear of dying, and being out of reality. Also, a person with this kind of fear may feel comfortable while inside the airport. Afterward, they start to experience signs once they go inside the plane. However, some may even experience some signs as soon as they reach the airport.
2. Other Conditions
Having aviophobia is also connected with other fears. Therefore, if you have other fear, then you may also feel the same inside the plane like:
- Fear of being inside a close area or room may also experience anxiety when flying because of confined space.
- Fear of heights can also become a fear of planes.
- Social fear can also start being afraid of flying because strangers are inside the plane.
Furthermore, trying to overcome these fears will also help you become comfortable flying inside the plane. Also, treatments for these fears are the same for people who are afraid of planes or flying.
3. Health Problems
Some health issues can contribute to having a fear of planes.
- People with sinus issues can cause dizziness and pain while inside the plane. Therefore, one can develop a fear of riding a plane because of their health problems.
- Another is ear illness can also cause serious fear because of the discomfort.
- People with heart problems may start a fear. It is because of the fear of having a bad feeling during the flight.
4. Possible Causes
The truth is that the main reason for this fear is still not yet known. However, different things can affect it. A study found out that the causes of fear are different from one person to another. Also, it comes from different factors like the environment, physical, and mental condition of a person. Therefore, each person may have a unique source of fear.
- A very traumatic experience like a plane crash can start the fear of planes. Hence, just watching a plane crash is enough to build up fear. For instance, many people fear getting into a plane after the September 11 attacks in the United States.
- Family background plays an important role in having it. Parents with fear of getting inside the plane may pass it on to their kids. Also, a friend with the same fear may control your thoughts. As a result, you may also feel the same way.
- A difficult situation like a job that requires more traveling may start the fear. Also, children with bad memories of flying bring fear until they get older.
Furthermore, it is good to know there are ways to overcome it and enjoy traveling. Therefore, thinking of why and how you develop fear can help you assess your situation. However, for first-time travelers, it is just normal to feel a little discomfort. It is good not to overthink that you have a problem or something wrong might happen inside the plane. You can tell the flight attendant of your situation, and they can help you become very comfortable inside the plane.