Having a fear of flying can also become an aviophobia. Hence, it is a type of fear that can stop you from enjoying life. Going to different places is one of the most rewarding things that you can do. However, people with this problem may experience signs, even just thinking about flying. Therefore, to go back to normal life, it is important to seek professional help. Also, sufferers can overcome fear through self-help. You do not have to avoid riding a plane and traveling.
1. When to Seek Professional Help?
People with a fear of flying are always stress and nervous. Thinking about the possibility of flying makes them very nervous. Likewise, if the fear is holding you from doing regular activities, it is good to reach out and ask for help. Doctors and therapists will be able to give the best treatment for you. First, they will try to find out the main cause of your fear. Hence, it is an important part of treating any fear.
It is good to know that any type of fear is treatable even without finding out the root cause. Some of the best treatments are:
The first treatment that many therapists will give is cognitive-behavioral therapy. Hence, the process is all about changing negative thinking about flying. Aside from it, there are other solutions for people who suffer from this kind of fear.
- Professionals agree that the best way to fight fear is facing it. Therefore, one can control fear by doing it is a big help. Some will suggest a virtual reality flying or an actual flying inside the plane.
- It is also similar to actual flying, but slowly doing things that you are afraid of. Hence, it is an effective treatment for any fear.
- There are treatments that involve virtual reality and other internet-based technology to treat aviophobia.
2. Taking Group Classes
In case you do not have other health issues or mental problems, you may take a flying class. There are special classes for people who want to solve their phobia of flying. It is a class that comes from airline companies. A class lasts only for two to three days. Also, it is being done together with a professional pilot. Likewise, they will talk about airline safety and will let you get inside an actual plane. By doing this, you can become familiar inside an airplane and decrease your fear. As a result, you may become very comfortable inside a plane and become at peace while riding it.
Experts will give medicines to help lessen the signs. Phobia of flying will give you bad feelings like nausea, shaking, and heavy sweating. For instance, a doctor can give you a drug that can stop motion sickness. Also, some medicines can stop a panic attack. However, taking these drugs will only give a short term solution to the problems. Therefore, it is used together with other types of treatments.
4. How can you cope up?
Aside from treatments, there are ways to cope up with your fear. The following are things to do to overcome any fear.
- Having the right information about flying will decrease your fear. Therefore, it is good to study how an airplane works. As a result, you will develop confidence that riding a plane is safe. Also, there are normal happenings inside the plane, like sounds, shaking, and other normal activities.
- If you start feeling the fear, it is good to become aware of what triggers it. Once you start finding out how it will start, then you can deal with it right away. Therefore, you may try to shift your attention to other things to become more relax.
- Another way is to have a kit with things that can keep you very relax during the flight. For some, listening to music is relaxing. Also, chewing something like bubble gum or candy help you to stop thinking negative thoughts.
- Before your flight, it is better not to take food or drink to make signs worse, like coffee.
If fear stopping you from enjoying life, it is better to ask for medical help from experts.