There is already a lot of information about the epidemic and pandemic. Today, the very recent illness that affects the whole world is the coronavirus. Hence, this illness is already a pandemic. It is important for us to know when a disease becomes a global concern. There are stages in the spread of an illness. Continue reading if you want to protect your family and community from future health problems.
First, you need to know the meaning of the following words:
If the number of people who are getting sick is suddenly increasing, it is already an outbreak. Most of it is just in one area, but it can also spread. Hence, it can last for a few days or even years. Also, a sick person with a specific illness that can transmit from one person to another is already an outbreak. It is true, especially if it is a new illness. If it is already gone for years and a person gets sick again because of it, it can cause alarm.
It is good to know the difference between epidemic and pandemic. An epidemic can happen when an illness quickly spread in two or more people. Furthermore, it can affect more people than an outbreak.
On the other hand, a pandemic can happen when an illness already spread from one country to another. If it makes a large number of people sick in different areas, then it is already a pandemic. Today, the very recent COVID 19 is a global problem. It is the role of the World Health Organization to declare it. Mostly, this type of illness can cause a lot of death within a population. The number of death may increase base on:
- number of people who got sick
- the seriousness of the illness
- health condition of people
- the effort to prevent and treat the illness
A global pandemic has different phases you need to know.
P1- there is an illness affecting animals
P2- an illness from an animal causes an illness to human
P3- cases of illness already spread from one person to another
P4- there is already an outbreak within the community
P5- the illness already spread to other countries
P6- one or more country already has an outbreak
When a global pandemic is already happening, then there is no sure cure for it. Also, it is only prevention that can solve the problem. It may take years to make a vaccine, especially if it is a new illness. However, the speed of making one is shorter today than before. Once a shot is ready, then a group of people who can easily get sick will get it first.
Moreover, pandemic preparedness is very important to win the fight against it. There are useful steps to stay healthy and avoid getting sick:
- Always clean the hand with soap and water. In case there is no soap and water, you can use alcohol or hand sanitizers. Hence, it must cover all over the hands and let it dry.
- Additionally, avoid touching the face, mouth, and nose, especially if you are outside. Make sure it is clean before doing it.
- Always practice good manners when coughing and sneezing in public places. Cover your mouth and nose using a clean tissue and throw it properly after.
- Avoid going to busy places; instead, stay inside your home.
- Always clean and sanitize your home.
In case you are already ill, here are the things you can do:
- One must not go out of the house and stay away from other people. It is good to call your doctor first before you go. However, if you are experiencing trouble breathing, call an emergency hotline right away.
- Moreover, wearing of face mask is important.
- It is good only to ask one person to care for you while you are sick. Also, make sure that the person is healthy.
- It is important to clean your hands before touching anything.
Once an illness is already spread, many people will get sick. Hence, most of them will not be able to go to work. It can cause a huge problem if a large number of people cannot go outside for work. Therefore, pandemic preparedness is very important. It is better to become aware of what you can do for your family and the community.
- Make a list of contacts in case of an emergency.
- Look for a group of people who can help you.
- Ask your employer for a work from home set up.
- Look for ways to learn while school is close.
- Store extra food, water, medicine, and other supplies.
- Get enough rest and eat healthy foods.
- Stay away from things that can give stress.
- Do some physical activities at home
- Help elder members of the family.