The heart is a popular organ in the body and belongs to the circulatory system. Hence, it is made up of important parts to keep it going. The human heart is pumping blood with oxygen in different parts of the body. It is very important to human life, so one needs to keep it healthy. Furthermore, some things can endanger their health, like poor eating, bad habits, and not enough physical activities. All of these things can make them weaker. Also, it ages as people get older.
Because of the popularity of the heart, you may already know a lot about it. However, there are fun and amazing facts that you can add to your pool of knowledge.
How much it pumps?
The size of the heart is not similar for all. But, no matter the size, it can pump blood as much as two thousand gallons a day. If the size of the human heart interests you, then take a look at your fist. Despite the size, it is the most important organ. Furthermore, it works harder than any other organ in the body. In case of damage, it is harder for other parts to get enough blood supply.
Facts you Need to Know
1. The heart rate can beat 115,000 times a day.
2. There is an electrical system that is responsible for its rhythm. It is known as the conduction system.
3. Although an irregular heartbeat, the heart can continue beating even outside of the body.
4. It was in 1893, the first open-heart surgery was done by a black American cardiologist named Daniel Hale Williams.
5. A pacemaker was first used in 1958 by Arne Larson. She died at the age of 86 with an illness not related to the heart. Also, she lives longer than the doctor who did the operation.
6. A baby who is a minute old get heart surgery, and it was successful. However, a heart transplant is done later on.
7. An Egyptian Mummy is the first to have a heart illness that is 3,500 years old.
8. The living thing with the smallest heart is the fairy fly, which is a wasp.
9. The living thing with the fastest heart rate of 1,200 per minute is the pygmy shrew. Also, it is the smallest mammal living.
10. The living thing with the biggest heart is whales.
Other Fun Facts
11. A giraffe’s heart is different because it has a thicker left ventricle than the right. It is the left side of the pump blood along its long neck to reach the brain.
12. Frequently, more heart attacks are recorded on Mondays.
13. It is on Christmas day is the most common time within the year when heart attacks usually happen.
14. Human heart only weighs 1 pound, but a man’s heart is heavier by 2 ounces than women.
15. Women’s heart beats faster than men.
16. The beating sound of the heart comes from the opening and closing of the valves.
17. A person can experience a broken heart with a similar sign like a heart attack. One can feel an irregular heartbeat and lead to an attack. Mostly, it comes from a very painful or stressful event in life.
18. A person with a broken heart can lead to death, but it is a rare case.
19. The heart shape that represents the heart is believed to come from a plant called silphium. It is popular for traditional medicine as birth control.
20. The heart cells stop dividing, so cancer of the heart is very unusual.
21. Laughter can benefit the heart and can increase its function.
22. The fastest heart rates belong to newborn babies.
23. It is not true that sneezing stops it from beating.
24. The beat of the heart slows down while sleeping.
25. The blood pump from the heart goes through the whole body except the cornea.
Enjoy a stress-free life and laugh as much as you can to have a healthy heart and body. The heart is very important for people, so taking good care of them is a must. Above all, everything you do affects the heart, so be mindful always.