CT scan is the short term for Computer Tomography scan. It uses a computer machine that can provide more detailed images compared to X-rays. This machine can directly see bones, tissues, and vessels.
In the medical field, the CT scan has a lot of contribution. It has various uses that can make things easy for doctors.
1. Bone Conditions
This machine checks your bones, joints, and fractures. Hence, it helps to give an impression of the possible problems that your bones have. Also, a bone CT scan starts by injecting a substance in your vein, which will, later on, spread to your body. This substance will flow to your blood and directly go to the areas needed for repair.
The following conditions need a CT scan:
- If you have bone cancer.
- Infection is visible to your bone.
- You have arthritis.
- Injury of the bone.
2. Heart Disease
Chest CT scan can help to detect deposits that block air passage and blood flow of your heart. Therefore, it was applicable for conditions like a tumor and blood clots surrounding your heart. Additionally, it gives your doctor an idea about what you have.
Chest CT scan includes the following process:
- It is important to wear a hospital gown.
- The nurse will make you lie on the scanning table.
- One can put these small patches on the chest. It connects to a monitor to see the activity of your heart.
3. Brain Check
If you have serious brain-related conditions, your doctor will probably request a brain CT scan. Hence, children are very sensitive to radiation than adults. Likewise, too much exposure may cause harm.
Moreover, the doctor will request to remove the jewelry you are wearing during the procedure. It will help to avoid confusion and wrong impression.
A brain CT scan is good for the following reasons:
- You have a head trauma because of an accident.
- If you suffered from a stroke.
- You want to check if there is a blood clot.
4. Abdominal Problems
Your doctor will conduct an abdominal CT scan when he/she noticed any unusual conditions in that area. Hence, it is for physical exams, and lab tests are not enough to detect your condition.
Furthermore, in the process, the doctor will ask you not to eat two hours before the test. Also, you should also wear comfortable clothes before you lie down on the table.
Possible reasons for doing an abdominal CT scan include:
- You have kidney failure.
- Unknown reason for losing weight.
- If you have appendicitis.
- Your intestines are failing.
CT scans usually cost higher because of the equipment they are using. In the United States, you will probably pay $270 to $5,000 for the said procedure. Hence, you will pay less if you have an insurance card and other benefits as well.
6. CT scan and X-ray
X-rays can only provide a one-dimensional image from the body. Also, doctors might not get more detailed information than a CT scan can give. However, it better for checking fractures. Additionally, it does not include vessels and other tissues.
A person who often undergoes with CT scan has a chance to develop cancer. Hence, it uses a machine that can expose you to radiation. Also, it can do a lot of damages to your cells inside the body. However, too much exposure to it may put you at risk. Therefore, it is not for pregnant women.
You better ask the following questions to your doctor to avoid any possible danger:
- Why do I need to be scanned?
- What are the possible risks I might encounter?
- How can it benefit my treatment?
- Is it the only way?
8. Contrast Material
Some CT scan types require a contrast material that helps to see the problematic areas in your body.
It possible for the following process:
- You will need to swallow the contrast material to scan the inside of your stomach.
- These materials can also be injected into one of your veins in your arm.
- Doctor will insert a contrast materials into your rectum to see your intestines.
You will not feel anything during the process. However, some other people get anxious once the procedure started. Therefore, to avoid any on-going problems, let your doctor know if you are not comfortable yet.
10. Side Effects
- Possible side effects of CT scan includes the following:
- It may cause you to vomit.
- You may develop rashes.
- It can give you a headache.
- You may experience trouble breathing.